Tram No. 14
14-1981
No. 14 at St Aidans Driver terminus - 1/8/2009 - Photograph Warren Doubleday.
 
Built in 1915 by the Meadowbank Manufacturing Co. for the Prahran and Malvern Tramways Trust. It ran as number 75 and retained this number when classed "J" by the Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramways Board in 1920. Sold to the Melbourne Electric Supply Co. Ltd. in 1927 and ran as Geelong number 29. Transferred by the SEC. to Ballarat in 1936 where it became number 14. This car was the last car to be overhauled and the last to run under its own power during SEC. ownership. This car is the property of the Ballarat City Council and on loan to the Museum
14-btm2317i 14-btm1883i
No. 14 at Gardens Loop, late 1961, just prior to fitting the dash canopy lights. Photo Travis Jeffery No. 14 decorated as the 1970 Myer's Christmas tram, Macarthur and Drummond Streets. Photograph Bob Prentice.
Date Built 1915 Builder Meadowbank Manufacturing Co. Sydney
 
Technical Details (As Built)        
Type Single truck, drop ends, open California combination
Length 30' 8" (9.35m) Width 8' 11" (2.72m)
Height 10' 8" (3.25m) Wheelbase 6' 6" (1.98m)
Approx. Mass 12 tons (12.2 tonnes)    
 
History:          
1915 Delivered to Prahran and Malvern Tramways Trust as tram No 75.
1920 Taken over by Melbourne & Metropolitan Tramways Board as No. 75, class J.
1928 Sold to Melbourne Electric Supply Co. for use on the Geelong tramway system as No. 29. Converted to Geelong one-man style.
1930 Geelong tramway system taken over by the State Electricity Commission.
1936 Transferred by the SEC to Ballarat tramway system as Tram No. 14. Converted to Ballarat configuration of waist level panels in drop ends, with closeable doors in each corner on the tramcar.
1971 Acquired by the City of Ballarat, and made available to the BTPS.
1979 Operated in Melbourne for the Australia Day Parade
 
Heritage Significance:      

Historic – The tram has operated in Melbourne, Geelong and Ballarat.  The four wheel tram is synonymous with Ballarat serving the city and its community from 1936 until 1971.  It has been converted to operate in Ballarat for one man operation, with doors on each side of both ends.  Tramcar retained by the BTM in the final form of Ballarat’s four wheelers – that is with marker lights and tiger stripes.

Technical – shows how the type underwent modifications for service in Ballarat.  The last tram to receive an overhaul and repaint by the SEC in Ballarat prior to closure. 

Social – was presented to the City of Ballaarat at the time of closure by the SEC.  Made available to the Ballarat Tramway Preservation Society for operation on permanent loan.

Provenance – known in detail – see Fleet Register sheet.

Rarity – One of small number of similar trams in Australian tramway museums.

Representativeness - It is a very good example of its type.

Condition-Integrity – remains in operable condition.

Interpretive Potential – shows the final form and colour scheme of Ballarat Trams and can be used in Wendouree Parade for visitor hands on experience.
 
Conservation Plan:
Retain in the final SEC Colour Scheme with marker lights.
 
Museum Status:
Operational vehicle, general use in museum service.
Valid HTML 4.01! © 2009 Ballarat Tramway Museum Inc.