Tram No. 21
btm-3306i
Following recovery in 1994 - photo BTM collection
btm-3002i 21-btm178i
View of No. 21 at the depot in 1935, Photo SEC - BTM Collection No. 21 - Grenville St, c1920, Photo from a Newspaper clipping - BTM Collection.
Date Built 1913 Builder Duncan & Fraser of Adelaide in Ballarat
 
Technical Details (As Built)        
Type Single truck, straight sill, closed cross bench
Length 31' 0" (9.45m) Width TBA (m)
Height TBA (m) Wheelbase TBA (m)
Approx. Mass TBA (tonnes)    
 
History:          
1913 Delivered to Electric Supply Co. of Vic. as Ballarat tram No. 21. Built new to supplement fleet upon conversion of the Sebastopol line, and known as a Sebastopol tram. Could be converted to a full cross bench for the summer period. Believed to be seldom done however.
1934 Ballarat tramway system formally taken over by the SEC.
1935 Sold by SEC to a Daylesford landowner, and used as the basis of a house.
1994 Acquired by the BTM, and stored off site.
 
Heritage Significance:      
One of three trams built of this type. Another body (22) was acquired by the BTM in 2009. The 3rd tram, No. 23, was converted to the Ballarat Scrubber by the SEC in 1934. and is owned by the The Tramway Museum Society of Victoria and is located at their site at Bylands.
 
Conservation Plan:
Keep body remains under cover, pending finalisation of conservation policy.
 
Museum Status:
Stored off-site.
Valid HTML 4.01! © 2009 Ballarat Tramway Museum Inc.