Tram No. 21
22-btm4311i1
Prior to recovery and transport to the BTM Depot - 22/5/2009 - Photo Austin Brehaut
22-btm1371i 22-btm4083i
No. 22 at the SEC depot, c1930 - Photo BTM Collection. No. 22 - Grenville Stterminus, mid 1910s, Photo from a Postcard - BTM Collection.
Date Built 1913 Builder Duncan & Fraser of Adelaide in Ballarat
 
Technical Details (As Built)        
Type Single truck, straight sill, closed cross bench
Length 31' 0" (9.45m) Width TBA (m)
Height TBA (m) Wheelbase TBA (m)
Approx. Mass TBA (tonnes)    
 
History:          
1913 Delivered to Electric Supply Co. of Vic. as Ballarat tram No. 22. Built new to supplement fleet upon conversion of the Sebastopol line, and known as a Sebastopol tram. Could be converted to a full cross bench for the summer period. Believed to be seldom done however.
1934 Ballarat tramway system formally taken over by the SEC.
1935 Sold by SEC to the Schreenan family at Bonshaw and converted to a workshop.
2009 Acquired by the BTM and moved to the depot.
 
Heritage Significance:      
One of three trams built of this type. Another body (21) was acquired by the BTM in 1994. The 3rd tram, No. 23, was converted to the Ballarat Scrubber by the SEC in 1934. and is owned by the The Tramway Museum Society of Victoria and is located at their site at Bylands. Of the two bodies, No. 22 is more complete, No. 21 missing one of the side walls and all the internal framing.
 
Conservation Plan:
Keep body remains under cover, pending finalisation of conservation policy.
 
Museum Status:
Stored at the Depot.
Valid HTML 4.01! © 2009 Ballarat Tramway Museum Inc.