Tram No. 33
33-btm1961i13
No. 33 at St Aidans Drive terminus - 28/10/2001 - Photo Earl Ewers
 
Built in 1920 by Duncan and Fraser for the Footscray Tramways Trust, but delivered to the Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramways Board who had taken over the Trust. The car was classed "M" 189 by the Board. Purchased by the SEC in 1935. In 1971 this car was acquired by the Hamilton Pastoral Museum and held by them until procured by the Society in 1977.
33-btm3007i 33-btm3768i
As received from the MMTB in 1935 prior to conversion to Ballarat style - Photo SECV. Departing for the Hamilton Pastrol Museum following the first closures - 2/09/1971 - Photo The Courier Ballarat.
Date Built 1917 Builder Duncan & Fraser Adelaide
 
Technical Details (As Built)        
Type Single truck, drop ends, open California combination
Length 32' 10" (10.01m) Width 8' 11" (2.72m)
Height 10' 8" (3.25m) Wheelbase 7' 6" (2.29m)
Approx. Mass 12 tons (12.2 tonnes)    
 
History:          
1917 Built for the Hawthorn Tramways Trust (was to be tram No. 39), but placed in storage due to WW1 and lack of mechanical and electrical components?
1918 Sold to Footscray Tramways Trust (then under construction).
1920 Taken over by Melbourne & Metropolitan Tramways Board and No. 189, class M, and began its operating life. Used as freight car from 30/6/30
1935 Sold to the State Electricity Commission of Victoria for use on the Ballarat tramway system as No. 33 and converted to final Ballarat form - waist level panels in drop ends, with closeable door in each corner of the tramcar.
1971 Acquired by the Hamilton Pastoral Museum.
1977 Acquired by the BTPS.
 
Heritage Significance:      
One of a number of this type of tram still in working order in Victorian museums. Nos. 32 and 33 have different electrical equipment to other trams of the ex MMTB M class trams.
 
Conservation Plan:
Retain in the final SEC colour scheme with Twin lakes sign and marker lights.
 
Museum Status:
Operational vehicle, general use in museum service.
Valid HTML 4.01! © 2009 Ballarat Tramway Museum Inc.