Tram No. 38
No 38
No. 38 in Wendouree Parade following repainting in the 1960's livery - c 1980
 
Built in 1914 by Duncan and Fraser for the Prahran and Malvern Tramways Trust and ran as number 41. Retained this number when classed "E" by the Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramways Board. Sold to the SEC in 1951 and renumbered 38. Altered to its present form in 1951 to permit one-man operation, but was not used as a one-man car due to Trade Union opposition. This car was repainted by the Society in the early 1960's SEC livery.
38-btm412i 38-btm2378i
No. 38 decorated for the visit of Queen Elizabeth II in 1954, about to turn from Lydiard St North into Sturt St - 8/3/1954 - Photo Keith Kings. No. 38 crosses Albert St on its way to Sebastopol in Nov. 1970 - Photo Glen Mills.
Date Built 1914 Builder Duncan & Fraser Adelaide
 
Technical Details (As Built)        
Type Maximum Traction truck, bogie, drop end and centre combination.
Length 44' 3.5" (13.50m) Width 8' 7" (2.62m)
Height 10' 2" (3.10m) Wheelbase 4' 0" (1.22m)
Approx. Mass 15.4 tons (15.71 tonnes) as modified    
 
History:          
1914 Delivered to Prahran and Malvern Tramways Trust as tram No 41.
1920 Taken over by Melbourne & Metropolitan Tramways Board as No. 41, class E.
1951 Sold to State Electricity Commission of Victoria for use on the Ballarat tramway system as No. 38.
1953 Converted for one-man operation - centre doorway closed, swinging doors fitted to other entrances. Limited use as such due to industrial bans.
1954 Decorated for the visit of Queen Elizabeth II to Ballarat.
1971 Acquired by the BTPS.
1979 Repainted in early 1960's SEC colour scheme.
 
Heritage Significance:      

Historic – Bogie or eight wheel tramcar, fitted with a type of bogie known as a maximum traction – one motor each bogie.  Although built in 1914 for Melbourne, when operated in Ballarat, was considered as a “modern” tramcar compared to the four wheelers.  Was modified by enclosing the central open section to operate as a one man tram – but limited use due to industrial bans.  Operated in Ballarat with a conductor.   Was decorated for the 1954 visit of the Queen.  Painted by the BTM to represent the trams in the 1960’s livery after the fitting of marker lights and tiger stripes.

Technical – Maximum traction bogie tram that underwent modifications for one – man operation.   Shows the nature of these modifications.

Social – One-Man operation of bogie trams banned by the tramways union, showing their strength.  Did not occur until the 1990’s in Melbourne.  

Provenance – known in detail – see Fleet Register sheet.

Rarity – Of the three one man SEC conversions of this type of tramcar (one each in Ballarat, Bendigo and Geelong), the only example left operating in an Australian tramway museum in this form.

Representativeness – Shows how this type of tram could have been converted, if it was not for industrial bans.

Condition-Integrity – remains in operable condition, though pending an overall.

Interpretive Potential – shows the form and colour scheme of Ballarat Trams in the mid 1930’s and will be available for use in Wendouree Parade for visitor hands on experience after an overhaul is undertaken.
 
Conservation Plan:
Retain in early 1960's SEC Colour Scheme with marker lights.
 
Museum Status:
Operational vehicle, general use in museum service.
Valid HTML 4.01! © 2009 Ballarat Tramway Museum Inc.