Tram No. 671
No 671
Photographed on the BTM Depot track - 14/8/2009 - Photo Dave Macartney

 

One of 5 cars built by the Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramways Board between 1933 and 1935 and classed "W4". This was the first class of Melbourne cars to have wide bodies and transverse seating in the saloons. Purchased by the Society in 1975.

 

671-city circle671 Melbourne
South Melbourne c1960 - Photo Ron Scholten Collection Nicholson St Melbourne - 5/3/1996 - Photo William F Scott
Date Built 1934 Builder Melbourne & Metropolitan Tramways Board
 
Technical Details (As Built)        
Type Equal wheel truck, bogie, drop centre combination.
Length 46' 0" (14.02m) Width 9' 0" (2.74m)
Height 10' 4" (3.15m) Wheelbase 5' 9" (1.76m)
Approx. Mass 16.4 tons (16.7 tonnes)    
 
History:          
1934 Built by the MMTB, and entered service as tram No. 671, class W4.
1968 Withdrawn from service and stored.
1976 Acquired by the BTPS and stored off site.
1980 Entered service at Ballarat.
1992 Repainting to 1950's MMTB green and cream colour scheme commenced.
1995 Following reassessment, repainted to Ballarat City colours completed 12/95. Operated for a period on the Melbourne City Circle route.
2009 Repainted externally in an all-over livery for Pipers by the Lake.
 
Heritage Significance:      
One of a number of this type of tram still in working order in Australian museums. Tram shows the transition in Melbourne tramcar design in the early 1930's between the W2 and W5. Not part of the Ballarat public transport era.
 
Conservation Plan:
Tram body and equipment to be retained in as-received condition, livery may be varied following assessment of Museum needs.
 
Museum Status:
Operational vehicle, general use in museum service.
Valid HTML 4.01! © 2009 Ballarat Tramway Museum Inc.