Launceston 14 in the BTM New Museum 6-12-2022. Photo Paul MongThe tramcar is the property of the Sydney Tramway Museum is and on loan to the Museum.
The tram body was built in 1912 for the Launceston Municipal Tramways by J T Gunn of Launceston. The tram entered service in June 1912 and was retired when the Launcestion system closed in 1952. The body was sold during 1953. Recovered from a farm in Campbell Town in 1999 and stored until the Sydney Tram Museum swapped the body of Launceston No. 1 with the Launceston Tramway Museum. The tram body firstly went to Bendigo Tramways where a former Brussels 21E truck was fitted to the tram, the body roof and underfloor structure was reconstructed. After this work was undertaken, it was shipped to Launceston, where a group of skilled tradesmen working out of the former Ravenswood High School finished the body, seats, cabs, doors, and other internal work. This took some 6 years work. They used a lot of Blackwood, Huon Pine and marine ply for the side panels. Gold Leaf has been used to give an excellent finish and overall presentation.
Interior of the tram showing the tip over seats. Photo Paul Mong 6-12-2022.
No. 14 in Hillside Cres at Canning St stop Basin Road Line, September 1946. Photo Roy Field.
||Single truck, drop ends, built as an open California combination
||8 tons (8 tonnes)
||2 x GE 58, 2 x 37.5HP
Ballarat Tramway Museum Inc. - PO Box 632 Ballarat Vic 3353 Australia - email@example.com - phone +61 3 5334 1580. A0031819K
| Copyright and Disclaimer | Links | Credits |